“The mailing of premiums by religious charitable mailers is at grave risk. We ask that you submit comments to the Postal Service as soon as possible in opposition to the August 23 Federal Register Notice of USPS. The operative, and potentially devastating, proposal is simple: “no merchandise or goods will be allowed of any type regardless of ‘value.’” Mailing merchandise would be forced into much higher postage categories of First Class, Priority, or Parcel Select, essentially ending premium programs.” [NCDC]
More need-to-know news:
- Fundraising Premiums Targeted By USPS [NonProfit Times]
- Two confirmed to USPS board of governors [Linn’s Stamp News]
- Three Top Tax Concerns Still Facing Charity Sector [Bloomberg Law]
“Of the Gen Z members polled, 85 percent of have an overwhelming preference for email as a communication channel. They are outranked—for now—in this area by millennials (89 percent) and Gen Xers (92 percent).” [PR Daily]
More emerging trends:
- “Election Effect” Drives Unprecedented Increase in Recurring Donations[Classy.org]
- U.S. Teens Maintain that Snapchat > Facebook [Opus Fidelis]
The 2018 NCDC Conference and Exposition starts this Saturday, but there is still time to register for this premier fundraising experience! Check out the Conference homepage for a full schedule of events and to register.
TIPS & TACTICS
“Your organization can’t survive without acquiring new donors.
“Unless you intentionally want fewer donors, you must invest in acquisition every year to maintain your donor file size.
“But how much should you invest?” [Meyer Partners]
More tips and tactics:
- Using a Gift Chart to Validate a Fundraising Goal and Campaign [NonProfit Pro]
- 7 things every fundraiser should know about design [Future Fundraising Now]
- How to Engage Supporters with Instagram Stories (With 5 Nonprofit Examples)[John Haydon]
- 20 Answers That Will Change Your Charity’s Donor Communications Forever[Bloomerang]
- Stewardship Techniques to Build Donor Relationships [Network for Good]
- 5 Ways to Show Donors the Impact of Their Gifts [Business 2 Community]
- 7 facts about American Catholics - “The Catholic Church is larger than any other single religious institution in the United States, with over 17,000 parishes that serve a large and diverse population” [Pew Research Center]
- Six new churches in five years: Portland's growing Catholic community [Catholic News Agency]
- What can nuns and ‘nones’ learn from one another? [America]
Inspirational insight of the week:
“Here, in this place of remembrance, I would ask everyone together, each in his or her own way, to spend a moment in silence and prayer. Let us implore from on high the gift of commitment to the cause of peace."
– Pope Francis, at a 9/11 Memorial Service at Ground Zero in 2015