Tax Reform Remains Top Concern for Catholic Fundraisers
Both the House and the Senate moved forward on tax reform last week; The House passed their version of the Tax Cuts and Jobs Act on Thursday while the Senate Finance Committee completed their markup and voted to bring the bill to a full Senate vote.
The Alliance of Charitable Reform, with whom NCDC is collaborating in this matter, has a comprehensive comparison of the two bills.
We are still hoping for a companion bill that will expand the charitable deduction to all taxpayers. On Thursday, Sen. James Lankford (R-OK) introduced the Senate companion to the Universal Charitable Giving Act, which was originally introduced by Rep. Mark Walker (R-NC) in the House in October.
Call to Action
Multiple studies have shown how these bills could have potential devastating effects to nonprofits and your charitable work. It is critical to contact your senators and representatives to encourage them to expand the charitable deduction to protect giving to your mission.
More need to know news:
- House Tax Bill Contains a Basket of Unwelcome Nonprofit Provisions [Nonprofit Quarterly]
- Nonprofits must sound the alarm on House tax bill [The Hill]
- U.S. Postal Service Reports Fiscal Year 2017 Results [USPS]
“Giving circles, at their most basic, are groups of friends, neighbors, and individuals of like concerns that gather to learn about issues that interest them and pool money to fund greater impact, according to Jason Franklin, W.K. Kellogg Community Philanthropy Chair at the Johnson Center for Philanthropy at Grand Valley State University and co-author of The Landscape of Giving Circles/Collective Giving Groups in the U.S.” [NonProfit Times]
More emerging trends:
- 7 Social Media Trends Your Nonprofit Must Know for 2018 [Nonprofit Pro]
- Audacious Philanthropy [Harvard Business Review]
- Philanthropy needs more small bets, less moonshots [Philanthropy Daily]
TIPS & TACTICS
“Maintaining a blog is like running a marathon. You can’t just do it on a whim—you have to be in it for the long run, otherwise you won’t be rewarded.” [Nonprofit Hub]
More tips and tactics:
- 4 Ways to Activate Social Media Influencers in Your Nonprofit Network [Classy]
- Nonprofit Data Breaches, Security Policies You Can’t Overlook [NonProfit Times]
- Your Future Major Gifts Depend on Top-Notch Stewardship [Amy Einstein]
- 3 Examples of Nonprofit Donor Surveys [Bloomerang]
- House passes contentious tax plan despite bishops' warnings [Catholic News Agency]
- Bishops (again) object to G.O.P. tax plan’s effects on the poor [America]
- Interreligious Coalition Opposes House Republican Tax Bill
[Network Advocates for Justice, Inspired by Catholic Sisters]
Inspirational insight of the week:
"In all created things discern the providence and wisdom of God, and in all things give Him thanks."
- St. Teresa of Avila