This is an important call to action for anyone who cares about keeping nonprofit fundraising mail affordable.
We all need to write brief letters to the Postal Regulatory Commission (PRC) by September 13 to make sure they are received by September 18. We need to write in opposition to a stealth attempt by the Postal Service (USPS) to add another price increase on Nonprofit Marketing Mail (formerly called Standard Mail).
The USPS proposes to change the relationship between commercial and nonprofit mail. This “technical adjustment” would add another 3.33 percent to rates for Regular Nonprofit and 6.94 percent for Enhanced Carrier Route Nonprofit! This is in spite of the fact that we have paid more than our part of rate increases for the past ten years! [Alliance of Nonprofit Mailers]
More need to know news:
- Is USPS Declaring War on Nonprofit Fundraising Mail? [Alliance of Nonprofit Mailers]
- What the Political Climate Means for Your Nonprofit Marketing Strategy [NP Engage]
- Push to simplify taxes is on but don’t touch some deductions [CBS News]
- GOP Plan to Kill Estate Tax Sets Up Charitable Giving Conflict [Bloomberg]
#GivingTuesday is less than 90 days away.
30% of all nonprofit giving happens during the last month of the year, from #GivingTuesday through December 31. It’s a time when donors are in the mood to be generous, and even the smallest nonprofits have a chance to boost their bottom lines and get the dollars they need to fuel their missions in the coming calendar year.” [Network for Good]
More emerging trends:
- Report: Nonprofits Not Improving Talent, Culture Practices to Keep Up With For-Profit Competition [Nonprofit Pro]
TIPS & TACTICS
“Thanksgiving. Giving Tuesday. Christmas, Hanukkah or Kwanza. Year-End. Each of these provide opportunities – and challenges – for fundraisers.
Yes, there’s the challenge of scheduling everything so you don’t overwhelm your donors or your team. But one of the challenges we often forget when we view each project as a separate unit is the overall message we are conveying. Are we expressing our ongoing need while also telling the donor he or she really had an impact this year?
Before you are consumed by the year-end rush, here are a few steps to make sure your donors end the year feeling great about being a supporter of your worthwhile cause.” [OPUS Fidelis]
More tips and tactics:
- How to Increase Your Website's Conversion Rate [Direct Development]
- Ending the Stigma: Fundraising is Sales [Nonprofit Hub]
- Christmas in September: 4 essential steps to a successful year-end fundraising campaign [Philanthropy Daily]
- Inheriting Confusion in Fundraising: Strategies to Cope with Database Cleanup [NP Engage]
- The Importance of NCOA and Data Hygiene [Lawrence Direct]
- Catholic groups mobilizing to help in Hurricane Harvey's aftermath [St. Louis Review]
- Chicago archdiocese to receive relic of Saint Teresa of Calcutta [Catholic News Agency]
Inspirational insight of the week:
“If you want a love message to be heard, it has got to be sent out. To keep a lamp burning, we have to keep putting oil in it.”
- Saint Teresa of Calcutta